Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP on 3750 with IP base?

minghui.qi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am doing a wireless WAN where all metro sites and HQ will wirelessly connect to one of our tallest bank building, there will be about 15 sites. I can't think of any router with that many interfaces. So i got a 3750 switch with 24 ports. all sites are using 3650. I probably will use EIGRP on the 3750 and all site are currently using 3650.my question is

1. is a 3750 good choice? any more suitable one? I can use 3650 as well right? because it won't be stacked.

2. what IOS do i need on the 3750 and 3650s? what is the difference between IP base and IP services regarding EIGRP features?

thanks a lot :)

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

1. As long as it need not be stacked, the 3650 is a considerably cheaper alternative.

2. You will not be able to run any EIGRP on a standard image switch. Runing ANY routing protocol, except for RIP and static, requires the ip services version.

regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

Hi

The 3750 IP base image will support EIGRP stub routing functionaility but not full EIGRP support. From a Cisco Q&A on Routed Access Solution

Q. Do I need to reconfigure my entire network to use a Routed Access solution?

A. You do not need to reconfigure your entire network to implement a Routed Access solution. You are probably already running the routing protocols in the core of your network. A Routed Access solution uses the same routing protocols extended to the wiring closet. So by configuring your wiring closet switches to act as EIGRP or OSPF stub routers, you will have done most of the work toward implementing a Routed Access solution. -----> EIGRP stub routing capability is built into the base image of the supporting Cisco Catalyst switches: the Catalyst 3560, 3750, 4500, and 6500 Series. <----- The solution does require that VLANs remain local within a wiring closet.

HTH

Jon

Hi

We use 3750's with EIGRP stub routing quite extensively (several hundred, if not into the thousands) within a production network. These provide normal L2 services as well as L3 routed links for various devices including AP's. We push quite large amounts of data through them as well and the solution works brilliantly.

The 3560 as core should be ok, just keep an eye on traffic levels.

8 Replies 8

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

1. As long as it need not be stacked, the 3650 is a considerably cheaper alternative.

2. You will not be able to run any EIGRP on a standard image switch. Runing ANY routing protocol, except for RIP and static, requires the ip services version.

regards,

Leo

thanks for your advice.

I also thought the IP Base can't do EIGRP, but I was able to do these commands on my test 3650 with c3560-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEE2:

router eigrp 1

network 10.0.0.0

auto-summary

eigrp stub connected summary

doesn't this mean it can do EIGRP? that's where i am confused.

thanks

Hi

The 3750 IP base image will support EIGRP stub routing functionaility but not full EIGRP support. From a Cisco Q&A on Routed Access Solution

Q. Do I need to reconfigure my entire network to use a Routed Access solution?

A. You do not need to reconfigure your entire network to implement a Routed Access solution. You are probably already running the routing protocols in the core of your network. A Routed Access solution uses the same routing protocols extended to the wiring closet. So by configuring your wiring closet switches to act as EIGRP or OSPF stub routers, you will have done most of the work toward implementing a Routed Access solution. -----> EIGRP stub routing capability is built into the base image of the supporting Cisco Catalyst switches: the Catalyst 3560, 3750, 4500, and 6500 Series. <----- The solution does require that VLANs remain local within a wiring closet.

HTH

Jon

If you are still confused on the EIGRP Stub Routing feature, please check out this link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120s/120s15/eigrpstb.htm

thanks a lot for all ur help.

from your answers, I think I will run IP base on all site routers and configure them as EIGRP stub routers. but the central one which all sites connect to will run IP Services and full EIGRP.

for the central router, I will probably use 3650 because it won't be stacked and all wireless links are slower than 100Mbps, but, is 3750/3650 a good choice in this case? or there is a proper router which has 15-20 interfaces, rather than making a switch to do the routing job?

thanks

Hi

There is nothing wrong with using a L3 switch for routing purposes if you need that many interfaces.

Jon

Hi

We use 3750's with EIGRP stub routing quite extensively (several hundred, if not into the thousands) within a production network. These provide normal L2 services as well as L3 routed links for various devices including AP's. We push quite large amounts of data through them as well and the solution works brilliantly.

The 3560 as core should be ok, just keep an eye on traffic levels.

great to hear your production experience about it. I will try the 3560 with IP services as core. and 3560 with IP base for the sites.

thank you all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco