cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Radius server for lab work

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I am studying Routing & Switching, but I also need to have a general understanding of the security features: AAA authentication, dot1x etc. It is probably the weakest link in my chain of knowledge because I have never used those

features.

I really need to play with the protocols in the lab to get a basic understanding of them. Is there some cut-down Radius server, preferably freeware running on a PC, that can be used for basic lab work? Can someone guide me through obtaining and installing it?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kevin

You should be able to get an eval license for Cisco's Secure ACS that you could use in the lab. It is free for download on the Cisco site.

It does run out after 3 months so it depends on how long you need it for.

The other option is to use the Microsoft Radius server (IAS) which comes with the W2K Advanced server. I haven't used it so i can't really comment other than that.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

Is that easy to set up, and does it run on a PC? I'm thinking in terms of my home lab, and running it on my old laptop, just tucked away in a corner somewhere.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin

I have run the ACS software on a laptop to eval it altho from memory i was running W2K server on the laptop. Is this possible for you to do ?

You need a login to Cisco web site but i'm assuming you have this ?

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/sw-ciscosecure.shtml

Jon

OK, thanks Jon. I shall give it a go next lab session, and I shall let you know how I get on. Gotta get over the "fear of the unknown" factor first tho'.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin

No problem. Guarantee you will manage to lock yourself out of a switch/router at least once :).

Can't count the number of times i've done it.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: