cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

micrate fro RIP v2 to EIGRP

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

In my network the routing protocol that is running is RIP v2. Since all my devices are Cisco i decided to change it to EIGRP. As i was adviced from this forum a good aproach is to configure the EIGRP to all routers with higher AD than RIP and then remove the RIP so my client no to loose any connection. The point here is that this started causing some problems. I configured the EIGRP to some routers with AD 170 and then i noticed that the network was too slow or sometimes it did not work. What's the problem? Shall i close the network for 1 day and then install the EIGRP and remove the RIP at the same time. Is there is another approach.

Thanks for your time

moses.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Moses

When the network stopped working did you look at

1) the routing tables to see exactly what was happening.

2) The CPU / memory usage on the routers that were running both RIP v2 and EIGRP processes.

You should be able to use this solution to migrate from one protocol to another. You need to do it step by step ie. router by router, add the EIGRP process, set the AD distance, add the network statements and then make sure that it is still preferring the RIP routes and that the router is still within acceptable resource usage.

Perhaps if you could post more details of what exactly went wrong.

Jon

Well to be honest i did that on 5 routers directly connected with the main router(7200VXR). The 4 routers do not seem to have any problems and i did not receive any complains from users. But one of the router(which i give the show run and show controllers in attachment)was loosing a lot of packets.

Is the using of AD 170 is right or i should use onother number.

Thanks .

moses

PC. The attachment contains the show run and show controllers of both routers and a graphic presantation of the fuctionality of the network between those my pc and the remote router using the multiping program.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card