cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless remedial action

mark.j.hodge
Level 3
Level 3

I'm looking at improving a Wireless implemenation which is not working as required. The first stage would be to perform a site survey. Should I do this with the existing network operational, or take the hit and turn off the APs for a day or so?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

Mark

First no need to turn off your existing wireless to perform a survey. in fact a survey with your existing network running is required to determine if you have a coverage problem or the source of your problem is something else such as a microwave oven or an incorrectly configured AP or out of date drivers on the users compters. some of the builtin wireless in laptops had serious problems with the original drivers.

The Cisco abg card comes with a survey tool which is very usefull.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wlan_adapter/cb21ag/user/2.0/configuration/guide/winapFkh.html

this link is to the Appendix F which explains how to perform a site survey with the tool.

If you have an spare AP just configure it with a different SSID and set it up in different locations to check coverage and it shouldn't interfere with your existing wireless.

Bill

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

Mark

First no need to turn off your existing wireless to perform a survey. in fact a survey with your existing network running is required to determine if you have a coverage problem or the source of your problem is something else such as a microwave oven or an incorrectly configured AP or out of date drivers on the users compters. some of the builtin wireless in laptops had serious problems with the original drivers.

The Cisco abg card comes with a survey tool which is very usefull.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wlan_adapter/cb21ag/user/2.0/configuration/guide/winapFkh.html

this link is to the Appendix F which explains how to perform a site survey with the tool.

If you have an spare AP just configure it with a different SSID and set it up in different locations to check coverage and it shouldn't interfere with your existing wireless.

Bill

Bill,

thanx, I will have a spare AP for the Survey. What about channel conflicts, I presume I should change the channel to avoid overlaps?

There is also the possibility of Voice over Wireless in the near future, is there anything I should watch out for?

Mark

Mark

if yourcurrent system is using bg AP's they should only use channels 1,3,11. For the survey I reccomennd using channel 11 as it is affected more by obticles than the lower channels.

For Voip phones I suggest you review the Phones and video section. As there seem to be many different problems/solutions as there are modles of phones. The importtant thing is same as with wireless computers check your AP model and to see how many devices it can support. I remember one AP that would support 200 clients with no encryption and less than 30 if you used WPA.

You may have to reduce the AP power to shrink the Cell based on you device count.

Good luck

Bill

Bill --

did you really mean channels 1,3,11? I have always read 1,6,11 for b/g?

thanks for your insite

George

Yes 1, 6, 11, unfortunatly typing is not one of my strong suits. Site surveys should also be conducted using CH11 as it is the highest freq and propgates less well than the lower channels.

rajanthanki
Level 1
Level 1

Its better to go foe network survey rather than trying hitting off the Access point. Check if the frequencies of the antenna is high and try by placing AP at different locations

If there is an installed system it is best to do a site survey with the installed AP as is, this will give you a good picture of the current coverage. if the users are having problems identify the area and plot against you current coverage. you will probably notice low signal or SNR in the problem area if the SNR is low but the signal is okay look for a source of interference.

Use a spare AP to test coverage for identified problem areas or areas requiring additional coverage before actually installing an AP.

Hope this makes things clearer

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card