Certification Recommendation

Answered Question
Oct 2nd, 2007

I've looked for an answer to this question but found none, so I'll post it here. I have a network with 20 6509s, over 500 other switches, over 8 firewalls, 2 ISPs, BGP, EIGRP and OSPF.

I currently have a CCNP and I'm the lead engineer, on a network this complexed is there a Cisco recommendation of the level of certification we should have. I'm trying to justify my job in funding my CCIE studies so any official Cisco documentation would be a bonus.

Correct Answer by cfolkerts about 9 years 5 months ago

The only official documentation that I have found regarding why an employer would hire a CCIE is located in the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/employers/index.html

Regards

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
paul.matthews Wed, 10/03/2007 - 00:07

What you need to do is look at it from their side - what will they get out of it?

If you already keep the network running pretty slick, they will wonder where you could improve by "just" doing CCIE which will cost them money.

You need to look at increasing uptime or reducing cost - if they put you through CCIE, can they release your assistant? Can you save money by reducing the level of support you get from your supplier?

You also need to balance that with the fear they may have that you may just do the CCIE and go get a better paid job elsewhere.

Basically what you probably need to do is work out how much it is likely to cost them to put you through CCIE - budget for a couple of goes at 350-001, three attempts at the LAB, travel to the lab, training you may need, time off you may need to study, investment in lab equipment (this can also be sold to them that you can create a small testbed of the live network to test versions of software and changes prior to doing them on the live network), the increase in salary you would expect on passing and all the other costs they will encounter, and you need to work out where you can save them money - can you do half as much work again? can you do the work of two other guys? can you reduce what they pay external consultants by doing that work yourself?

*THAT* is how you can persuade them, the Cisco blurb will all be very general. You are unlikely to find a nice easy document that will say "for a network of three switches use a CCNA, for up to fifty use a CCNP and for over a hundred, use a CCIE"

The size of a network is not a great indicator of the skill needed to support it. A well designed, planned and implements network of 600 switches will be easier to support than a mish-mash of twenty - put simply the mish-mash will be twenty *different* devices, the 600 will be the same thing done about 150 times!

The only thing I know if where Cisco are clear about CCIEs is for Partner status.

Paul.

Danilo Dy Wed, 10/03/2007 - 08:18

Hi,

I agree with Paul.

No matter what the network size is "big or small" for some "doesn't exist", they pursue higher certification like CCIE.

For the employer, what they will get with it if they finance your certification, the only thing I see is what Paul already said "The only thing I know if where Cisco are clear about CCIEs is for Partner status". Other than this, you can finance your own certification for self achievement to prove to yourself a lot of things pursuing and achieving this certification.

Regards,

Dandy

Actions

This Discussion