Level 1

Hi all

>I want to deploy 802.1x on my network.

1- Switches 3560 series with IOS 12.2(35)SE1

2- ACS 4.1

3- Windows Vista for Clients

>My questions are:

1- Is 802.1x support windows vista

2- How the client will be authenticated. Is there any software will be installed on the clients machine or the ACS

will pop up a window for the authentication. Also Where can I put the vlan in the ACS to be dropped on the port after authentication.

3- If I have VMPS and the ports are configured as dynamic (not access ), how can I solve this problem.

4- If the ACS radius server down. how the authenication will go. It can take from the switch local database.

5- what is the use of this command .....dot1x pae authenticator....

I appreciate any help. Please, I need this to be clear ASAP.

Thanks and Best Regards

amady

4 Replies 4

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

Vista supports MD5-Challenge, Protected EAP (PEAP), Smartcard or certificate,Secured password (EAP-MSCHAPv2). Click Add/ Edit from the user setup page. When scroll down the page you will have an option for IETF attribute choose the Vlan there. Wireless users will not be affected by Switch VMPS. PAE refers to Port Access Entity. Defines the role of an interface (as a supplicant, as an authenticator, or as an authenticator and supplicant). In this case it happens to be Authenticator which is access point.

Hi Irisrios

Thanks for your reply

Sorry, You didn't get my points. I use 802.1x in with wired network not wireless.

Actually i finished the configuration and it is working fine, but I use mac authentication.

Mac authentication is taking around 20 sec with vista and 30 sec with xp to finish the authentication and takes the ip from the DHCP server. Is there any idea how to reduce this time?

Thanks and appreciation

amady

Port config on switch?

What do you for work fine?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card