cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can an 1841 ADSL be configured to point to 2 peers?

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

At the moment our VPN's (we use 1841, 877 and 837's) point to one peer IP address which is a cisco concentrator. For failover can we point the config to another peer address if it can't contact the first?

4 Replies 4

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

The benefit of ADSL over a serial or dial-up line is that it is always on and always connected, increasing bandwidth and lowering the costs compared with a dial-up or leased line. ADSL technology is asymmetric in that it allows more bandwidth from an NSP's central office to the customer site than from the customer site to the central office. This asymmetry, combined with always-on access (which eliminates call setup), makes ADSL ideal for Internet and intranet surfing, video-on-demand, and remote LAN access.

Ttry config to use dynamic crypto maps.

Andy

I have not had much experience doing it but I know that you can configure more than 1 peer address in an instance of the crypto map. The documentation indicates that it provides the failover capability that you want. So it sounds like the answer for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Andy

Just to confirm that Rick's suggestion will indeed work and i have used it in a production environment. It will try the peer's in order of entry into the crypto map.

Jon

Jon

Thanks for the confirmation. It is always good to hear from someone who can say I did it in a production environment and it works.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card