Helpful
Replies

CSM Load balancing done for Apache virtual hosts

sunilcnair
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,

My name is Sunil C.

i have a Cisco CSM Load Balancer.I can use it to Load Balance two physiscal web servers with Apache and Tomcat.

Now consider this scenario.

i have only one web server (for testing purpose).It contains Apache and Tomcat.I have activated Virtual Hosts section in Apache.

The term Virtual Host refers to the practice of running more than one web site (such as www.company1.com and www.company2.com) on a single machine. Virtual hosts can be "IP-based", meaning that you have a different IP address for every web site, or "name-based", meaning that you have multiple names running on each IP address. The fact that they are running on the same physical server is not apparent to the end user.

1.now if i have two different IP address or two different host names in one web server ( using virtual hosts) how can i apply Cisco CSM load balancing technique here.what should i do to ensure that Cisco CSM route to the correct virtual host address.

2.Please help me with some details of how to configure and set up.

Thanks in advance.

Sunil C

2 Replies 2

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

As per your problem description, "HTTP probes failing under load testing". This may indicate that the Real servers are too busy to respond in time to the CSM probe attempts. There are two different timeout values: open and receive. The open timeout specifies how many seconds to wait for the connection to open (that is, how many seconds to wait for SYN ACK after sending SYN). The receive timeout specifies how many seconds to wait for data to be received (that is, how many seconds to wait for an HTTP reply after sending a GET/HEAD request).You may want to consider increasing your "OPEN" timeout to something greater than 5 secs as well increase the default "RECEIVE" timeout from 10 secs.

Do the Apache interfaces or the Apache uplink interfaces to the switch display any type of ethernet errors?

hello sir,

Acrtually i had asked about whether i can set up CSM for routing to a single machine where i have set up Apache virtual hosts. that means a single system (real server) will have two host name. so outside it will be like two different servers.

i have heard CSM works as load balancer for two real servers. now my doubt is can i use CSM to load balance two hostnames in same machine (load balancing one real server with two host name)

thanks in advance.

Sunil C

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card