cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High EXEC process CPU utilization

murray.bown
Level 1
Level 1

As the subject heading says I am experiencing extremely high CPU utilization by the EXEC process.

CPU utilization for five seconds: 97%/0%; one minute: 96%; five minutes: 96%

2 ME 80335584 8180376 129506 6316610968/12000 65 Exec

129 M* 0 584 262 222910080/12000 66 Virtual Exec

I have followed the trouble shooting guide on the Cisco site but this has not helped in fixing the problem.

I have attached the output from the Sh tech support command.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Murray

6 Replies 6

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Is there perhaps a debug running?

Leo

Thanks lgijssel but all debugging is disabled.

From the show tech I noticed that you are running a very old IOS version. (Version 12.2(4)T)

This is so old that it is not even listed anymore. For more information, refer to:

Cisco IOS Software Product Bulletin no. 2863

Cisco IOS Software Retirement Table

This is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosplanner.cgi?get_crypto=&data_from=&hardware_name=2620-2621&software_name=&release_name=&majorRel=12.2&state=:HW&type=

The fact that it is an early T-version makes it an even more more likely suspect. Unless you are 200% certain that this IOS version is performing fine elsewhere with a similar config, I would suggest that you begin with upgrading the router to some GD version from the list.

regards,

Leo

Just to let you know that upon revisiting the trouble shooting documentation I have found the resolution. I have changed the console logging level to critical.

I have a project in place to update the IOS levels on all the routers that we use.

Thanks for your help.

Best practices tell you to actually turn off logging console . Only turn it on if you need it to look at something and you are attached to the console , other wise there is no reason to have it on .

For the future : here is a nice command to help you isolate which processes are using CPU:

show process cpu | exclude [0-9.]+% +0.00%

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco