Telnet Clients

Unanswered Question

Does anyone know what telnet client is used in the CCIE lab?

I'd also like to hear about other decent telent clients out there. I use Putty but feel that its a bit basic. I would like to have the ability to telnet my central telnet router and then use host information my telnet cliens hold to connect on to my other routers.

Is there anything out there that does this?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
scottmac Wed, 10/03/2007 - 05:43

Hyperterminal is pretty much the norm for most situations.

Secure CRT (SCRT) is (IMHO) the best access client on the market today. It does Telnet, SSH, and everything else, it's scriptable in several languages (including Perl, VBscript ...)

I've tried other clients, CRT / SCRT are my favorites and, by many people's opinions, the best there is.

You can get a trial at

It's a little pricey, but it's worth it.

Check it out

Good Luck

Kevin Dorrell Wed, 10/03/2007 - 06:14

Personally, I use Teraterm and a 16-port 2500 series router as terminal server. That way I can telnet to ports 2001, 2002 etc. and keep a window on each router in the stack.

One issue I have had with it was that on remote lab sessions, I have to be careful not to paste too much into the window at once. Pasting a complete running config to a remote lab stack is a no-no.

The other thing I don't like so much is that the slash on the numeric pad needs to be shifted. But perhaps that it just a question of keyboard setup.

Kevin Dorrell

Edison Ortiz Fri, 10/05/2007 - 21:17

> Does anyone know what telnet client is used in the CCIE lab?

The CCIE Lab has an old version of SecureCRT.

dara111983 Sat, 10/06/2007 - 10:31

The old version of securecrt here means the version >> without the tabs support!!!

scottmac Sat, 10/06/2007 - 10:59

Yeah but you can still open multiple windows, and in most cases, that is more desirable than having to jump from tab to tab to compare results.

Just open multiple windows and compare settings side-by-side.

It's really a non-issue.

Good Luck

This Discussion