cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Integrating UC520 onto our network

davieshuw
Level 1
Level 1

im sure ive seen, and lost, a Cisco document detailing the best method of incorporating my UC520 onto our network, has anybody seen it or got any suggestions re VLANS/ DHCP?

Thanks!!!

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well, what do you have currently?

well we've got the usual small business setup, one Catalyst 24 port switch with one default VLAN, a windows DHCP server, only running one IP range.. just basic really.

Just wondering if there was a Cisco method for setting up the relevant voice and data VLANS

What router are you using on your data network? Also I presume its ADSL?

its an 1801 ADSL router. And a Pix.

It depends what you want. It is recommend to separate your voice and data vlan. On each switch port specify the data vlan and voice vlan.

If you want to integrate your voice and data network, maybe you want to use the click to dial feature or imap to view your voice messages in outlook then you?ll need to setup Inter VLAN routing. Depends on your setup, if the 1801 is dishing out ip addresses for your LAN and doing NAT, it will be easy to setup a separate vlan on it for you voice setup. You can then stop the DHCP service on the UC520. Add option 150 to dhcp on the 1801 ?

hmm yes nearly forgot about the phones pulling the configs down via option 150. This is where it could get messy. Our Windows server currently does DHCP so we'd have to use a different subnet if we wanted to keep the phone systems DHCP and like you say have intervlan routing. I wonder if the UC520 would cope with it

Although its not good practice, you could have your voice and data network on the same vlan no edditional subnet needed and your windows server DHCP would support option 150.

You can also have Windows performing the required DHCP functions for your separated voice vlan with option 150 and have your 1801 performing your inter vlan routing using ip dhcp relay on your router for your voice vlan?

yeah i didnt want to mess about with all the TFTP stuff though. But it looks like i'll have to.

You are probably already finished with your deployment, but here is my 2 cents anyway.

Keep it simple. Run 2 VLANs on your switch voice/data, trunk them up to the UC500 using it as the default gateway for each VLAN. Keep you DHCP as is on your server box. No change for the data network except a new default gateway pointing to the UC500. For voice, build the DHCP in the UC500. IF you need intervlan routing the UC500 will do it by default because it is the default gateway for both VLANs.

Easy peasy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: