cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2610 ethernet int with 'bandwidth 10000' statment

peperg
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router in my new network that is confusing me. It is an old 2610 with a singe Ethernet inerface (NOT FASTethernet)and a Serial interface. I know that ethernet is a 10Mbps link, why would someone have the statment 'bandwidth 10000' on the interface?

interface Ethernet0/0

bandwidth 10000

ip address 10.X.X.X 255.255.0.0

ip access-group 105 in

ip access-group 105 out

half-duplex

The interface connects to a 10/100/1000 interface on a 4006 that is configured for a speed of 10. If anyone has seen some crazyness like this and can shed some light it would be very helpfull.

P

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nambi_gct
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The bandwidth command need not always represent the actual bandwidth.It is a way of providing more administrtive control for the routing protocols and QoS mechanisms.IOS respects the bandwidth command configued when it calculates the metric for a routing protocol.(Say eigrp).Similaly Qos decisions can be influenced with configured bandwidth values.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards

Nambi

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

nambi_gct
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The bandwidth command need not always represent the actual bandwidth.It is a way of providing more administrtive control for the routing protocols and QoS mechanisms.IOS respects the bandwidth command configued when it calculates the metric for a routing protocol.(Say eigrp).Similaly Qos decisions can be influenced with configured bandwidth values.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards

Nambi

Thank you,

This helped me understand better.

P

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

"Bandwidth" command on an interface is nothing to do with interface actual speed infact it is to tweak with routing protocol metric.

Routing protocols like eigrp, ospf uses the bandwidth of an interface to calculate routing metric and if you want to override the default bandwidth of an interface to tweak the metric calculated by routing protocol you can configure bandwidth command on an interface.

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card