cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vrf routing on a 3750

mcompton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, here is my situation. I am setting up a test lab with 2 mpls routers, but only 1 3750 switch. I have the vlans configured and subnets setup.

vlans are as follows:

vlan 120 - 10.129.120.x/24 - routers Network one

vlan 121 - 10.130.121.x/24 - routers network two

vlan 10 - 10.129.10.x/24 - users network one

vlan 11 - 10.130.11.x/24 - users network two

and this goes on like this....

what I would like to do is instead of routing on the local switch between vlans I would like then routes to go through the switch. I was told VRF was the way to go, but have no clue on what to do.

when I traceroute between user 1 (10.129.10.5) to user 2 (10.130.121.5) it only has 2 hops, the switch route then the end user pc. I want it to hop from pc1->switch->router->switch->pc2.

can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks

Matt

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Matt,

you would require to setup MVRF-CE (VRF lite)on the 3750 to do this.

EAch vlan should be a part of a seperate VRF which should be routable via the router.

Is there a specific reason as to why you would not use intervlan routing?

Narayan

Narayan,

thanks!

the reason being is that the client only gave us one switch with 2 routers to simulate the MPLS QOS. We needed to seperate the 2 "networks" 10.129 and 10.130, but this morning I got them to release a 2nd switch as it is more like the mirror of the network we are building and not a One-off situation.

thanks again,

Matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco