Views
Helpful
Replies

ugrent 4507R Vlan

mathurmahesh
Level 1
Level 1

hi guy,

i have 4507R switch to which i have created two vlans VLAN 2 & VLAN 3 with ip routing enabled(i cant see this command when i type #sh runn-con).

My problem is we are able to ping Vlan 2 gateway & sytem under VLAN 2 from VLAN 3 PC but from VLAN 2 i am not able to ping Vlan 3 PC ( but i m also able to ping VLAN 3 Gateway from VLAN 2 PC).

Plzs suggest its urgent.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Remember that a ping requires packets to pass successfully in both directions. So if you have a ping working in one direction but not the other, then there is some other subtle effect going on.

The most common reason is a firewall in the machine you are pinging. See if there is a firewall running on the VLAN 3 PC.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

View solution in original post

Would it be possible to just post the config + output of "sh ip ro" on 4507R without editing IP's.

Also have you checked that default gateways are set correctly ie.

PC in vlan 2 - DG 172.16.10.1

pc in vlan 3 - DG 172.16.20.1

Could you also check subnet masks etc. on PC's.

Jon

Whether it is in transparent or server mode would not have an effect of being able to ping between subnets unless you are pinging from switches hung off the 4507 . The show ip route is not correct as the default route is not correct and it doesn't even show vlan 2 as a connected route so that has to get straightened out first . Make sure your ports are both access ports .

9 Replies 9

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Remember that a ping requires packets to pass successfully in both directions. So if you have a ping working in one direction but not the other, then there is some other subtle effect going on.

The most common reason is a firewall in the machine you are pinging. See if there is a firewall running on the VLAN 3 PC.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Thanks for that Reply but i have interchanged the PC 's also but the same problem continues.(from vlan 2 to vlan 3) & (from vlan 3 to vlan 2)

I presume when you swapped the PCs you also swapped their IP addresses and gateway addresses?

Do the PCs have the correct mask for the router interface config?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

In addition to Kevin's post in your text file what is the "sh ip route" output from ? because it doesn't seem to be off the 4507R.

Jon

yes its from 4507R switch.(i have changes the IP 's ,dont worrry about that)

Would it be possible to just post the config + output of "sh ip ro" on 4507R without editing IP's.

Also have you checked that default gateways are set correctly ie.

PC in vlan 2 - DG 172.16.10.1

pc in vlan 3 - DG 172.16.20.1

Could you also check subnet masks etc. on PC's.

Jon

thanks for the reply jon ..evrything is perfect i have checked alll subnet,gateways ...no problem ..i had a doubt the switch is set to transperent mode .. but evenly i have changed to server mode but dont effect.

Whether it is in transparent or server mode would not have an effect of being able to ping between subnets unless you are pinging from switches hung off the 4507 . The show ip route is not correct as the default route is not correct and it doesn't even show vlan 2 as a connected route so that has to get straightened out first . Make sure your ports are both access ports .

hi guys thanks for the reply from all ..i have solved the issue by moving it from transparent VTP mode to server mode and by cold booting the chassis.....thanks for that reply to all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco