Views
Helpful
Replies

7204VXR NPE card Gige throughput question

mci_FirbyJo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

We are installing a Gige-Gige solution for a customer using 7204VXR as CPE.

My sales engineers are saying that the NPE-G2 has a lower throughput than the NPE-G1 and that we should use the older card.

I find it hard to believe that cisco would introduce a card with worse throughput than it's predecessor , but am unable to find any documentation to back up my thoughts.

Does anyone have any ideas / proof /documentation ?

Many thanks in anticipation

Barry Firby

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Barry

Not according to the data sheet for the NPE-G2. Look at the first row in the features table, the NPE-G2 pps performance.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_data_sheet0900aecd8047177b.html

Might be worth verifying exactly what your sales engineer is referring to.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon ,

Thanks for the reply !

I saw that the NPE-G2 has twice the Mpps of the G1 .

They are reckoning that the actual throughput Gige - Gige of the NPE-G2 is only 200Mb , as opposed to the G1's 400Mb .

I have asked but not been given the doco to support these claims.

Cheers

Barry

I'd sure like to see some documented evidence of this 200Mb throughput on the NPE-G2.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Agree with Jon, G2 should offer twice the performance of the G1. However, G2 only supported with 12.4 XD, SW and T release trains. This might be part of their concern.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card