Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960 Trunking Issue

Lavanholy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Recently I have bought 8 Nos of Cisco 2960 switches (with 12.1 IOS)

In that I have tried 3 nos of switch ,configuring a port as a trunk port and connected to the core,it is working fine for a period of 1 hour time,after that the port got discoonected ,means lost the connectivity,it is with all 3 switch out of 5 switches,the remaining 5 switches I am yet to test it.

Where as if I configure the Cisco2950 it is working fine.

What could be the possible cause for this problem.?

How to solve this?

I need a help.

Thanks and Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

7 Replies 7

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

What do you see in the logs?

Do you have errors on the ports connecting to the core?

Does the problem gets resolved automatically or it requires something to be done from your end

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

Thanks for the response.

I have not seen the LOGS.

When the trunk port loses its connectivity,I have to configure another port as a TRUNK port and get go.After say some time that port also will lose the connectivity.Like this it is happenning.

Help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks and Regards,

S.Venkataraman

Hi Venkat,

I believe your ports are going into errdisable state due to some reasons which need to be tracked either due to gbic issue or negotiation issue or something.

So once they go down again check the interface status and confirm.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankbhasi,

Thanks for the info.Infact the site 500 Km far my place,I will ask my negineer to take down the LOGS and configuration,Then I will post to you.

O.K

Thanks and Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Venkat,

Did you checked the logs if any messages logged up there and if you can post may help? Also can you post the relevant interface config from 2960 switch which is configured as trunk and also the relevant interface config from core switch?

Can you check when it lost the connectivity what is the status of interface and incase if it is not errdisabled?

Regards,

Ankur

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will probably have to post both sides of the config . Also is there any indications in the log that the trunk link went down on either side ? Look for physical layer problems on the links.

Hi Glen,

Infact the site 500 Km far my place,I will ask my negineer to take down the LOGS and configuration,Then I will post to you.

O.K

Thanks and Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card