cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

shaping or policing at layer 2

kschleppenbach
Level 4
Level 4

What functions, if any, are available for shaping or even just policing a switch port (layer 2)? I have Metro Ethernet Service provided to me on Gig ports. A 6509 at the hub site, a 3560 at remote 1 and a 3524 at remote 2. I have 100M rate service from hub to remote 1 and 10M rate service from hub to remote 2. How do I control the traffic rate on my side insteaf of just letting the service provider through away packets? And keeping remote 2 egress traffic from squeezing out remote 1 egress traffic at the hub site only to have the service provider through away anything over the 10M service? Thanks

1 Reply 1

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

A policy map specifies which traffic class to act on. Actions can include trusting the CoS, DSCP, or IP precedence values in the traffic class; setting a specific DSCP or IP precedence value in the traffic class; or specifying the traffic bandwidth limitations and the action to take when the traffic is out of profile. Before a policy map can be effective, you must attach it to an interface. Try the below config to limit the traffic to 1 mb inside the LAN.

Switch(config)# policy-map flow

Switch(config-pmap)# class ipclass1

Switch(config-pmap-c)# trust dscp

Switch(config-pmap-c)# police 100000 1000 exceed-action policed-dscp-transmit

apply the policy to output of the interface

Switch(config)# interface gigabitethernet0/1

Switch(config-if)# service-policy output flow

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card