cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridge Interface Auto shut down with Event Manager

richard.jackson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have a router configured with a bridge Interface between the E3 Serial and Gig Ethernet. These are transparent to the network and do not have any IP addressing. The configuration I would like to set up would be that in the event of the Serial Interface going down, the Gig Ethernet would go into a admin down state. I believe that Event Manager could accomplish this.

Would anyone have a config and setup guide for this.

Kind regards

Richard Jackson

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You don't need to use a TCL policy to do what you want. You could use an EEM applet. It all depends on the version of code running on the router as to what event detector you can use. If you are running 12.4T, you can use Enhanced Object Tracking to see when the E3 interface goes down, then admin down the GigE. For example:

track 1 interface Serial0 line-protocol

event manager applet watch-serial

event track 1 state down

action 1.0 cli command "enable"

action 2.0 cli command "interface gi0/0"

action 3.0 cli command "shutdown"

action 4.0 cli command "end"

action 5.0 syslog priority errors msg "E3 interface has gone down; shutting down GigabitEthernet0/0"

If you are not using 12.4T, then you could replace the track event detector with an SNMP event detector. In this case, though, you would need to know the ifIndex of the E3 interface. You can use "show snmp mib ifmib ifindex" to get this value. Then do something like:

event snmp oid 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.333 poll-interval 60 get-type exact entry-op ne entry-val 1

Here, 333 is the ifIndex of the interface you want to watch. The rest of the applet would be the same as above.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

tstanik
Level 5
Level 5

The Event manager will not be able to do this, however as a workaround you can configure some IP on serial interface but make sure it is not participating in any routing and then have the ethernet set its status accordingly when the serial goes down.

Indeed I think that EEM can do this, because EEM can do practically anything based on a variety of events or tracking. The problem is to familiarize with the programming model that certainly is not an easy job.

See;

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a008041231a.html

Many thanks for the info....

Some reading over the weekend I guess !

You don't need to use a TCL policy to do what you want. You could use an EEM applet. It all depends on the version of code running on the router as to what event detector you can use. If you are running 12.4T, you can use Enhanced Object Tracking to see when the E3 interface goes down, then admin down the GigE. For example:

track 1 interface Serial0 line-protocol

event manager applet watch-serial

event track 1 state down

action 1.0 cli command "enable"

action 2.0 cli command "interface gi0/0"

action 3.0 cli command "shutdown"

action 4.0 cli command "end"

action 5.0 syslog priority errors msg "E3 interface has gone down; shutting down GigabitEthernet0/0"

If you are not using 12.4T, then you could replace the track event detector with an SNMP event detector. In this case, though, you would need to know the ifIndex of the E3 interface. You can use "show snmp mib ifmib ifindex" to get this value. Then do something like:

event snmp oid 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.333 poll-interval 60 get-type exact entry-op ne entry-val 1

Here, 333 is the ifIndex of the interface you want to watch. The rest of the applet would be the same as above.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card