Replies

Need support with Generic Atribute Registration Protocol

alejandro-gomez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, can someone help me this:

Does cisco 3560 Catalyst Switches supports:

-Generic Atribute Registration Protocol

-Discards Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP)

-Vlan ID preservation

Im planning to deploy an Ethernet Virtual Conection using Cisco Catalyst 3560 as UPE in a Lan to Lan 60 Mbps service for a customer, but would like to be sure that cisco 3560 complies with the customer requirements listed above.

Thansk in advance for your help!!!!

Regards,

Alex

7 Replies 7

brad_olson
Level 1
Level 1

I had to edit this, as I was wrong. I can't find anything on VLAN ID preservation for this switch, but it looks like it will do GARP and LACP.

Brad, thanks for your reply. will check information with the rest of responses

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

There is no support for any GARP application (GVRP, GMRP) in IOS. GARP is being phased out and replaced by MVRP at the IEEE. Support will be added for that.

I don't know what you mean by "discards" LACP (I'm no LACP expert though) or even Vlan ID preservation. Are you looking for a switch that is able to classify frames in different vlans (the 3560 can definitely do that).

Regards,

Francois

Hi,

My company needs to provide service EPL, but some customer specifications are kind of confusing to me, (maybe customer doesnt know what he really wants)

Literally specifies:

Provider equipment must:

"discard Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP)"

"Allow Generic Atribute Registration Protocol (GARSP or GARP)"

"VLAN ID preservation" (seems to me like QnQ)

I consider that 3560 will be enough to provide L2L 60 Mbps service between cities, but verifying requirement basis, I found the above specifications.

What I need to check is :

If the 3560 will fit customer requirements or which other Cisco Lan Switch will support it.

Or maybe what to discuss with customer with solid basis about his/her wrong requirements

Time is very important with this, so I really would apreciatte a very soon answer if posible.

Thanks in advance for your time and comprenhension!!!!

Ftallet,

Thanks for your reply.

eventhough Im not sure what does Generic Atribute Registration Protocol is.

I dont understand why does my customer specifies that.if GARP is been phased out and replaced by MVRP by IEEE, seem to me that customer is targeting a specific brand of lan switch, but he also specifies that he will receive the service using a cisco switch.

Thanks again.

if you can provide more info, will be very usefull to me

Hi Alejandro,

GARP is not itself used. GARP is some kind of infrastructure built in the switch that can be used by other protocols to register some attributes across the network. The only two applications I know of that use GARP are:

GVRP: that performs roughly the same functions as Cisco's VTP pruning

GMRP: which is used to create multicast trees at L2.

None of those applications have proved to be very popular (that's probably why Cisco could get away by not implementing them).

MRP will address some scalability issues of GARP and will allow MVRP and MMRP (the successors of resp GVRP and GMRP: you are guessing how their names have been derived from GARP now;-) to work with 4K vlans.

That's about all I can tell you, as I'm really clueless about "VLAN preservation" (that, from a google search, indeed looks like QinQ), and "discards LACP" (if this is a matter of not running LACP and dropping its control frame, that should be ok also;-).

Regards,

Francois

Francois,

Your mail was really useful, I have a better understanding about what to look and what to ask in my tomorrows meeting with your advise.

thank you very much for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: