cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up a Comcast Broadband connection on ASA5510

rpw5354
Level 1
Level 1

What commands are necessary to allow certain pc's connectivity to a Comcast broadband connection on our ASA5510. It has 3 interfaces. 1 is our inside network. 1 is our outside connection for our Stratus Wave ISP which uses a static IP address and the 3rd is a Comcast connection using a DHCP assigned address. I want certain users on the inside to go out over the Comcast connection for their internet access.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Based on what you are telling you want to have to Internet Providers connected to your ASA and you want some users to go out using one ISP and some other users the other ISP. In other words you are trying to do policy-based routing. Unfortunately the ASA does not have the capability of doing such thing. You can configure the ASA to have a backup ISP and this only works when you have one active ISP and another ISP waiting to come alive in case the primary fails. It uses a concept called route tracking.

If you want to do policy-routing I suggest you using a router.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

Based on what you are telling you want to have to Internet Providers connected to your ASA and you want some users to go out using one ISP and some other users the other ISP. In other words you are trying to do policy-based routing. Unfortunately the ASA does not have the capability of doing such thing. You can configure the ASA to have a backup ISP and this only works when you have one active ISP and another ISP waiting to come alive in case the primary fails. It uses a concept called route tracking.

If you want to do policy-routing I suggest you using a router.

I'm running version 8x on the ASA5510. Can I accomplish what I want using STATIC ROUTES? If so...how would I do that? The Comcast ISP connection is using DHCP. The one PC I want to go out over the Comcast connection has an IP address of 172.16.3.31 and the gateway address is pointing to the inside address of the ASA which is 172.16.3.234. Thank you!

Using Static routes you won't be able because the static routes route the traffic based on the destination not based on the source. If you use Routing tracking it will just let you have a backup ISP that is all, you won't be able to route traffic through that interface while having the other active.

Obviously. Thats exactly what the document said. :o)

That makes sense about source vs destination.

I just completed a Cisco class on the ASA5510 with version 8.x and I THOUGHT the instructor said you could do what I am attempting (2 ISP's with load balancing) but he didn't elaborate on HOW? I woud think you could do it!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card