I think of putting a catalyst 3750 on each floor, connecting the 3

catalyst in Gbic, and connecting the users of each floor to the

switch corresponding on the floor.

Is this a good solution ?

3 Replies 3

brad_olson
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, I am a little confused. Are you talking about connecting the Catalyst switches to each other without a core switch? Are you just trying to connect the workstations with each other (No DC or Internet access)? I suppose it would work but doesn't seem like a good idea to me, my friend.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your total network is only 60 users, you could probably run well using just L2 24 port switches, one per floor, interconnected with gig fiber. If there are servers, place them on the middle switch. (This also means the middle connected switch doesn't have to be on the middle floor.)

If you see the need for some routing, one L3 switch, again in the middle, should perform well. If only one L3 switch, consider using a 3560 since you won't need to stack it.

Only if you see the need for stacking switches on a floor, to increase port density, or if you see multiple VLANs per floor, with traffic flows between them, then 3750s would be good.

zaidumer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

if you are not plaiing on using multiple vlans and intervlan routing and your netowkr is relatively simplified..

then the best option would be to use WS-CE500 with SFP ports on each floor and intetconnect them using fiber cable using GX recievers (fiber SFP modules)

if purchsing SFP is a problem then u can also use WS-CE00 switch with Gbic Ethernet ports to interconect each other

thats how we connect small offices with small budgets :-)

hope it helps..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card