cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN trouble

john
Level 1
Level 1

I removed Cisco VPN Client from My Computer running Windows XP Home because of a problem and now I want to reinstall it but it keeps telling me that I need to reboot after the removal process but I have already rebooted several times, can anyone help me?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

What version are you using? This is the link to make manually uninstall the client.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_tech_note09186a0080094b7f.shtml

You also need to make sure you go to the device manager and remove all the copies of the VPN adapter you have probably installed. This is not good for the VPN client 5.0. Cisco has not published an uninstall for that and registry entries are different.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. The error message that I get says "A previous version of the VPN Client was recently uninstalled, but the computer was not rebooted. You must reboot your computer before installing the new VPN Client."

Trouble is I have already rebooted several times. I have gone into the registry and removed some suggested lines that refer to the Cisco VPN Client and checked the device manager and found no VPN adapter there.

Do you have any suggestions as to where I might find some additional help on the subject, I am new at this and find myself stuck without any ideas for a next step.

Once again thanks for responding

Did you check the link out that was in teh previous email? You do need to follow those instructions. That should give you a clean system and then also remove the VPN adapters.

I am having the same problem with VPN Client 4.8. Anyone have a solution.

I uninstalled "normally" got the message above then uninstalled manually per the docs on Cisco.com and I still get the message when trying to re-install.

Thanks

Look for the key:

HKLM\software\microsoft\currentversion\runonce\CISCOREBOOTFLAG

For some reason this key was not removed during the uninstall process. I deleted it and the VPN re-installed properly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: