cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Switches support wired LEAP?

phil_s1
Level 1
Level 1

Does any Cisco switch that has AAA support LEAP (like my old 2950)? If not, what's the the least expensive switch that will support wired LEAP?

Thanks!

-Phil

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

jafrazie
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

2950s support 802.1X.

So is that a yes or a no? I'm not quite certain of the relationship between .1X and LEAP. Is LEAP just like any other of the EAPs, or does the authenticator need to know specifically about LEAP?

LEAP should be like any other EAP type. The authenticator need not know about it unless it's an EAP-server.

And most of the time, switches are pass thru's for EAP, so don't know the difference b/t LEAP and TLS really.

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Phi,

LEAP works with wireless. Cisco LEAP supports several Cisco wireless products, including Cisco Aironet autonomous and lightweight access points, Cisco wireless LAN controllers, workgroup bridges, wireless bridges, and repeaters, and many Cisco and Cisco Compatible WLAN client devices.

On switch you can use Dot1x authentication.

Regards,

~JG

Yes, I can successfully use LEAP for wireless authentication. Does this mean LEAP will NOT work for wired authentication on a Cisco Catalyst switch?

LEAP should work fine on a wired switch.

As per my understanding LEAP requires WAP and does not work on wired networks.

Do you mean "WPA"? WPA Enterprise includes EAP. Most Cisco switches support EAP. Why wouldn't it work?

jafrazie & jgambhir seem to totally dissagree.

Search for "LEAP" in the following document. It seems to imply that's it possible but nothing conclusive.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps5528/c1161/cdccont_0900aecd8035eb89.pdf

-Phil

Phil,

It seems that if you have any wired supplicant supporting LEAP, it is going to work.

But I don't think we have any wired supplicant supporting LEAP ?

Regards,

~JG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: