cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Design Solution

renubhatt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, This is the first time i will be working on cisco unity.

Few points where i want clarity and any help will be highly appericated.

We have four unity boxes for two locations which are connectig via dark fiber and design is to build unity on failover mode and connect two failover boxes using digital networking.

We have four exchanges servers to use as message store but in standalone mode as we dont have any SAN box to support exchange clustering. But the issue is there any way we can make these exchange servers to talk to each other.

2. We have to use existing AD with unity to populate user info...and dnt have any idea how to do that...any doc or link will be great help....

This is little urgent...Thanks..

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Take a look at the design guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/design/guide/5xcudgx.html

Basically, it sounds like you will be using Unified Messaging based upon what you are saying with AD.

AD needs to be setup with Exchange running first and foremost. If you have two locations, still, use Sites and Services to build out AD correctly. (subnets, etc) With Exchange, you can have multiple Exchange servers in the Same Exchange Org. Follow best practice from Microsoft on this.

Once your AD and Exchange is setup. (one forest, one domain, etc) Follow the Unity Installation Guide. This will walk you through how to install your first Unity server. There AD accounts to add, schema updates that need to take place, etc.

Basically, Unity will be added into the domain as a member server. Unity will use the Mailstore you choose from the Exchange Org you have already built. The Exchange servers can be standalone, but being they are all in the same domain, they will be a part of the same Exchange Org, and transfer messages between them.

Install Unity Failover server after the first Unity server is in.

Remember, (1) Unity Server to (1) Failover Server. They belong in pairs as "active/standby"

hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your reply..But actually i have missed out information in my first post. We are using unity in pure voice messaging mode where in subscribers will be retrieving their messages using IP phones.

Next, the setup is we have four exchange servers for four unity boxes and since there is no additional storage devices so cant cluster them. We are planning to make a pair of unity servers and make them talk using digital networking. We have existing AD from where user info will be taken for unity subscribers.

Catch is for every unity failover pair, how many exchange servers can be used and can they replicate data between each other for redundancy sake. And if that replication is not possible then what role will be played by remaining two exchange server. I will be heartily thankful to you if you can guide me through some documentation or some step-step process.

1. Integration of Unity with Exchange (Multiple Servers)

2. Integration of Unity with AD (Existing Domain)

3. Digital Networking between Unity Servers.

Probably I am asking for too much but considering the case that I am doing activity for the first time?please help?truly appericated.

Let me know if I am able to explain you my scenario.

Thanks , Renu

Every Unity Primary and Failover pair, MUST use the same Exchange store/server.

What I am confused about is that you have Voicemaili only setup right now. This means you have a separate AD infrastructure just for voicemail correct? You then have a "production" AD. Typically this is where all your AD users are on, computers are in this domain, etc. Most likely, you have your own Exchange servers just for email.

Clear this piece up, then we can go farther.

thanks!

Hi,No we are not using separate AD for voicemail.Instead we want to use same prouction AD which is working in network with Lotus Domino's for emails.

Do you have an existing Voicemail only domain currently? Or are you using the existing AD for voicemail that Domino is on?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: