Views
Helpful
Replies

Powerfailure 4006 lost config.

lamin.sonko
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have an old Cat 4006, running CatOS. I had to make a password recovery on this device, and it started up in rommon. I booted up Cat4006 and there the config was lost.

I found an article that looked like my problem.

It uses bootstrap 4.5(1)

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/770/fn12396.shtml

My questions is:

1. show boot:

BOOT variable = bootflash:cat4000-k9.7-2-1.bin,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable =

Configuration register is 0x2

ignore-config: disabled

auto-config: non-recurring

console baud: 9600

boot: image specified by the boot system commands

Here is "CONFIG_FILE variable" missing it should be =bootflash:switch.cfg, should this file be in nvram?

2. On CatOS every config I make is saved auto. to nvram(switch.cfg i think). Is there a possibility to see this file in nvram? show nvram: dir nvram?

3. Is "CONFIG_FILE variable" somthing that i have to configure on a new empty switch or is this automatic(the switch will fill this in on first configuration).

4.When i try to add bootflash:switch.cfg

Hus> (enable) set boot auto-config bootflash:switch.cfg

CONFIG_FILE variable = bootflash:switch.cfg

Warning: File not found but still added in the auto-config string.

8 Replies 8

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Lamin,

As the config files in CATOS are automatically saved in nvram in binary format you won't be able to view the file with any command. If you want you can save the config file to flash device copying it from nvram with command "copy config flash" and then type bootflash when it will ask you for Flash Device and once done you can view your file in dir flash: and your boot string will also work.

You can have a look at this link to know more about config files

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/8.1/configuration/guide/config.html#wp1019889

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/8.1/configuration/guide/flash.html#wpxref14214

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi

Yes.. I could read the config file.

1. You say my bootstring will work, do you mean the one in bootflash: or the one in nvram.

2. If its the one in bootflash: it will not be updated when I change somthing in config.

3. If its the one in nvram i still have problem to set that variable.

Hus> (enable) set boot auto-config bootflash:switch.cfg

Warning: File not found but still added in the auto-config string.

Hi Lamin,

What I mean to say is bydefault config file will be in NVRAM because it is in binary format. Not very sure if config file in binary format can be moved to bootflash.

But if you change the format of your config file to text mode with command "set config mode text {nvram | device:file-id}" you can save it either to nvram or bootflash.

"http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/8.1/command/reference/set_a_d.html#wpxref44460

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi

I dont want to move configuration file from nvram. I only want to know if its there =). And when i look at some of the other switches they use binary mode so that should be fine too.

1. If I go with text mode, and i make some changes in configuration will it be saved in the new textfile i created with. "set config mode text bootflash:switch.cfg" or will it be saved in nvram?

2.If i want to use binary mode (lika my other switches) and i want to set this in my bootfile.

do I then need to move the bin to bootflash?

My main problem is that the switch goes to rommon when it had an powerfailure.

Hi Lamin,

Your switch goes to rommon everytime it is a power failure is a concern and I believe it is because of your config register which is set to 0x2 so change it to 0x2102 and see if this resolves your issue and leave the config file as it is in nvram.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi

I have other Cat4006 switches that I have done the same password-recovery procedure. And all switches had reg. 0x2 configured, and booted up, its only one switch that stopped in rommon. the only difference i can see. is this config_file variable.

On the other switches the use binary and

The "faulty" switch

CONFIG_FILE variable =

I will try to set reg. to 0x2102 at next service window and i will tell you how it went.

/Lamin

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Every once in awhile we see stuff like this with the catos box infact something like this just happened last night when we reloaded a 2980 and for some reason it lost the vlan info so we had to send somemone to manually put in enough config to get it on the air and then config net the tftpboot file to it , don't know why this happens ,we were upgrading the boxes to crypto 7.6.17 code . I think you can save the config to a file in bootflash if you chose to go that way . The set boot auto-config command is a one time shot only and will only work over the next switch reset . If you save the config to bootflash you can look at the file with the "show file bootflash:" command .

Hi

If its "one shot only" is there a way to get it permanent into the file.

I want it to look like this. This its how it lookes in my other switches but not this one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card