7206 Router with NPE200 Problem

worldcalltel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

See details below:

MNL-NATRouter#show version

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 7200 Software (C7200-IS-M), Version 12.2(32), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 02-Dec-05 19:08 by

Image text-base: 0x60008940, data-base: 0x61314000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(13)CA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

BOOTLDR: 7200 Software (C7200-BOOT-M), Version 12.0(25), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

MNL-NATRouter uptime is 23 hours, 35 minutes

System returned to ROM by reload at 22:46:32 GMT Thu Oct 4 2007

System restarted at 22:48:10 GMT Thu Oct 4 2007

System image file is "slot0:c7200-is-mz.122-32.bin"

cisco 7206 (NPE200) processor (revision B) with 114688K/16384K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 12163074

R5000 CPU at 200Mhz, Implementation 35, Rev 2.1, 512KB L2 Cache

6 slot midplane, Version 1.3

Last reset from power-on

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

Number of Fast PAs = 4

Number of Fast+Medium PAs = 4

Total number of PA bandwidth points consumed = 800

Please refer to the following document "Cisco 7200 Series Port

Adaptor Hardware Configuration Guidelines" on CCO <www.cisco.com>,

for c7200 bandwidth points oversubscription/usage guidelines.

WARNING: Number of Fast PAs Exceeds 3

4 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

125K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

4096K bytes of packet SRAM memory.

16384K bytes of Flash PCMCIA card at slot 0 (Sector size 128K).

4096K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 256K).

Configuration register is 0x2102

My question is i have recieved an error warning "WARNING: Number of Fast PAs Exceeds 3". Does it mean only 3 FA Port are allowed to have in a 7206 Router?

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rick

I believe that it is not a question of what is allowed (having 4 Fast PAs will not necessarily break anything) but is a question of what is advisable and of what may overload the router. With that processing engine it is possible that the load from 4 Fast PAs could over tax the ability of the processing engine. If they are lightly loaded I believe that everything will run fine. But as they get more heavily loaded it may create a situation where something does not work correctly.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes, i think that what happens to my network 2 days ago. With so many traffic and translation. My internet connection from my 3 ISP were getting hit or miss. SO do I remove the other card? what do you advise? Data and voice traffic are loaded on my 7206 Router, 3 ISP connection was connected to my 7206. I also implement a trunking with 4 vlans and those 4 vlans are using NAT.

Rick

From your description of the symptoms I would guess that you need to either upgrade the hardware or you need to move one of the Fast PAs. I would guess that neither alternative will be easy. In the long term I would think that upgrading hardware would be better. In the short term moving a PA might be quicker and easier.

If you move one of the ISP connections, is it possible that you could connect one of the VLANs and have that VLAN use that ISP connection?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

What do you mean by moving the FAST PAs, and what else do I need to upgrade on the hardware?

Here is my topology: see attached file for diagram

Fa1/0 - ISP 1

Fa2/0 - ISP 2

Fa3/0 - ISP 3

Fa4/0 - this is my LAN (all private IP) and it is connected to a switch. I have 4 subinterfaces on this port. Vlan 1 - Vlan 4.

If i remove one of the card, the best thing i can do here is to join 2 ISP link in one port and implement a ip address secondary.

My main objective here is to be able to migrate all the private networks (vlans) to one of the ISP links when of them goes down. Using the NAT, i can easily migrate them without having any configuration between my servers, PBX, Call center application and voice gateways and etc...

All the necessary configuration will be on the 7206 Router.

This is my design for now. because this is all the equipments that I have.

If may I ask, what could be the best thing to do based on my objectives.

What do you mean by moving the FAST PAs, and what else do I need to upgrade on the hardware?

Here is my topology: see attached file for diagram

Fa1/0 - ISP 1

Fa2/0 - ISP 2

Fa3/0 - ISP 3

Fa4/0 - this is my LAN (all private IP) and it is connected to a switch. I have 4 subinterfaces on this port. Vlan 1 - Vlan 4.

If i remove one of the card, the best thing i can do here is to join 2 ISP link in one port and implement a ip address secondary.

My main objective here is to be able to migrate all the private networks (vlans) to one of the ISP links when of them goes down. Using the NAT, i can easily migrate them without having any configuration between my servers, PBX, Call center application and voice gateways and etc...

All the necessary configuration will be on the 7206 Router.

This is my design for now. because this is all the equipments that I have.

If may I ask, what could be the best thing to do based on my objectives.

Rick

If this is all the equipment that you have then I suggest that the best alternative is to upgrade the processor from the current NPE200 to a higher capacity processor, probably something like the NPEG1 or NPEG2.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco