cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

access lists on asa

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

hi all, by default is anything allowed out of my firewall, does the permit ip any any allow everything out, ie all tcp ports? if I wanted to just allow web traffic out, would I delete the default allow all rule off and create one for tcp port 80 to anywhere ?

4 Replies 4

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

Yes.

You need to create a rule to permit 80 and another rule to block everything else. You would simply do this.

access-list inside permit tcp any any eq 80

access-list inside deny ip any any

access-group inside in interface inside

can you tell me what the "access-group inside in interface inside" means ? , would we not want this going outbound ?

It applies the acl into the inside interface which would be outbound.

If you wrote access-group inside out interface inside then the acl would be applied outbound from the inside interface, or inbound to you inside network.

Also, not to confuse you more, if you apply the acl on the outside interface, it would be as you suggested. access-group inside out interface outside would be outgoing from inside network. access-group inside in interface outside would be incoming traffic from the outside.

I am a little confused on this, can you explain a little further about the inside/outside in etc access lists ? and also what part of the statement is actually the name of the access list here ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card