CCNA -- My training material seems inadequate

Unanswered Question
Oct 5th, 2007

Hi All,

I took Global Knowledge's CCNA Boot Camp class. I also have about 5 years of experience with Cisco devices at a 100 user company.

Using the test simulator provided by Global Knowledge (Self Test Software), I studied and studied. I could routinely score 95%+.

I was simply shocked by how much more difficult the 'real' exam was. I scored 821, but expect to ace the exam. Man, was I wrong! I was more prepared for this exam (or so I thought) than any exam I ever took in college.

The questions regarding VLANs and spanning tree were so much more in depth than anything that was taught in the class or self test software.

I have lost faith in the Global Knowledge package. I think it is too 'elementary' for what you actually face on the exam.

I am looking for guidance in pursuing a more comprehensive exam preparation package.

Thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
greekgeek Sat, 10/06/2007 - 17:56

I haven't taken a recent GlobalKnowledge course so can't speak for them. I passed the CCNA a couple of weeks ago (the one that's about to expire) and agree that the exam was much more difficult than I expected. I used the Odom books (he is an excellent author) but the practice tests that came with the books weren't even close to the kind of questions you see on the exam.

Honestly, I found Chris Bryant's Ultimate Study Kit very helpful. Additionally, a gentlemen named Paul Browning has a very helpful site http://www.howtonetwork.net and his methods for subnetting were extremely good.

For me, I had to review the material so much that it became second nature. Then, I was able to answer questions in any sort of format. That is the key. Once you really understand something, you can field all questions they throw.

The exam was especially hard on switching, as you noted. I would do a lot of hands on labs and really, really learn the "show" and "debug" commands. If you can tell the difference between "debug ip igrp transactions" and "debug ip igrp events", for example, it will help much! Those are the details that will allow you to pass.

You are close; don't give up!

evanhook3 Sun, 10/07/2007 - 07:07

Thank you very much for your help, greekgeek! I will check into the resources you posted about.

Actions

This Discussion