cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515 and Load Balancing

administrator
Level 1
Level 1

I've done a hundred searches on Google and Cisco's forums looking for an answer to this question and have not come across anything that describes my situation.

I have a PIX 515 firewall and a D-Link Load Balancing router. I would like to use the Dlink to load balance our T1 and DSL. The DSL should handle all internet requests and the T1 will be handling outgoing mail and server traffic. This is the way I've set it up:

T1 -> Dlink (LAN)

DSL -> DLINK (WAN2)

PIX(LAN) -> Cisco Catalyst Switch

DLINK (LAN) -> Catalyst

PIX(WAN) -> DLINK (LAN)

We have a range of outside IPs assigned to us. I've assigned an outside IP to the Dlink router itself. When I change the route on the firewall to send requests to the Load-balancing router, I lose the connection to the internet. However, with this setup I can access the internet through the T1. I've tried changing the DNS addresses on my server to point to the Load-Balancing router with no luck. If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated as I've never done something like this before and have hit a wall. Thank you.

-Phil

1 Reply 1

ebreniz
Level 6
Level 6

With the PIX there is not a way to load balance, you would need a load balancing device such as a Local Director to do this. You can point your default route on the PIX to one router or the other. You could have static routes pointing to the other router, but you would have to do this for specific networks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card