Cisco 3745 router - Unable to Access Console ....

Unanswered Question
Oct 7th, 2007

Hi ,

Im unable to access the console port in cisco 3745 router .

thanks in advance !!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
royalblues Sun, 10/07/2007 - 06:07

When you connect to the console, are you able to see any output when you power on the 3745.

THere is also a possibility of the console speed been changed. you should mostly see some junk characters if this is the case. Try connecting to the console using different baud rates and check.

If nothing works out you probably have a bad console port on the router

HTH, rate if it does

Richard Burts Sun, 10/07/2007 - 08:15

I agree with Narayan that the most likely cause of your problem is a difference between the speed setting of the console port and the setting of speed of your terminal emulation software. His suggestion of connecting to the console and then power cycling the router is a good place to start. If it is a speed difference you should see some characters on the screen.

If it is not a speed difference then I would suggest one other alternative beside the possibility that you have a bad console cable. (and the best test of the console cable is whether you are able to connect to the console of other routers or switches with that cable) I would suggest that it is possible that someone has configured no exec on the console port. Are you able to telnet to this router or to connect via the aux port? If you do have access to this router then I suggest that you look at the running config under line con 0 and see if it has no exec configured. This would produce the symptom of not being able to access the router via the console port. If it is configured with no exec, then the fix is to configure:

line con 0

This Discussion