Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF and MPLS

Is it possible to connect a CE via vrf to a PE (ISP) running full MPLS?

10 Replies 10

sding2006
Level 1
Level 1

yes, that's called multi-vrf ce or vrf-lite.

What would be the objective of your connectivity form a CE to a PE in a vrf.

Probably more info should be of some help.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

I have a problem with my present equipment, my CE is a Catalyst 3750 with Advanced IP, it doesn't fully support MPLS according to the documents from Cisco. My customer will be setting up a fully MPLS network core on their site. Is there a big difference on the performance, benefit and advantage of VRF with respect to MPLS? still I am confused about the two technologies. The following protocols are presently running on the site: VTP, RSTP, VLAN Routing (EIGRP)

To add more, my client has many branches that are physically far from the HQ. They want to run a fast WAN link that is the MPLS. But their CE equipment is Catalyst 3750. Please help...

I believe the support for MPLS is there for 3750-Metro range. If you have a Cat 3750 then MPLS is not supported.

But you can although configure MultiVRF CE as described in an earlier post in this thread.

You can run a layer 2 trunk to your next-hop Full MPLS PE and, create dot1q subinterfaces on both sides for the required number of VRF's. There shouldnt be any performance issues as far as i know with this setup.

In fact not carrying your IBGP to your aggregation edges (CE's) you have a leaner network, which is the way to go for enterprises trying to virtualize their network.

Here is a reference link for configuration sample.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_white_paper0900aecd8012033f.shtml

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

If your customer will be setting a full MPLS network and you have and MPLS network, you might be looking into a Carrier Supporting Carrier (CSC) setup at your PE.

On the other hand, depending on your customer final needs, and if you don't want to deal with the CSC setup, you may try using "l2 vfi's" if you have a PE which support it. In this way, you can have L2VPNs (xconnect, pseudowires, VPLS) which will be providing a transparent "point-to-point" or "point-to-multipoint" connection to your customer.

-W

Thanks guys, I will be looking for the VRF setup. Lastly, is the VRF and MPLS have full compatibility? thanks for all!!!

William I think that is not CSC ,that basicaly EMPBGP .Am I right?

Sanjoy,

I'm not sure what are you referring with EMPBGP.

When you have a CE that wants to run MPLS with your PE you are in a CSC setup one way or the other. The MPBGP (MultiProtocol BGP) is almost always needed in a PE in order to propagate the VPNv4 routes. (There are some setups in which you can have a PE without the MPBGP but are not scalable models).

-W

Am talking abt MP-eBGP .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: