cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vista clients not authenticating against WPA

tahequivoice
Level 2
Level 2

I have an 1100 AP that works fine for XP and 7920 phones using WPS-PSK, but NONE of the Vista machines, whether they are home or business edition can connect. The SSID is not broadcast, the error I get is out of range, yet the AP is less than 10 feet away. When I enable broadcast I get encryption errors, but nothing tells me what kind. Is there a fix for this?

My conclusion is that Vista plain downright sucks.

5 Replies 5

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

This is a well known fact by the endusers but Microsoft, Intel, Broadcom and other vendors all point fingers at each other. The fact is that none of the wireless drivers for Vista are stable. NONE. None of the vendors admit fault nor do they attempt a fix. The closest is the broadcom update that acknowledges a WPA/WPA2 PSK issue.

Good, another nail in the coffin for Vista, stocking up on XP upgrades now.

did you fix your issue ?

Yep, uninstalled Vista, and installed XP Pro, fixed it right up. Upgrading from Vista to XP seems to fix a ton of problems.

justin_miller
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure you don't have CCKM on, as this was a large issue for our wireless deployment. We have 4000+ AP's and some 2000-4900 concurrent users of which a growing number are using Vista. From what I have seen is that any driver from 2006 or the early part of 2007 will not work for WPA/WPA2 reliably. From about May on there have been drivers that have worked pretty well for Atheros, Broadcom, and Intel.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card