cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Number of VPN tunnels supported for 1711?

jhlee2000
Level 1
Level 1

I'm wondering how many VPN-VPN tunnels can be supported on a Cisco 1711 router? I've one office that connects to another via the 1711 via VPN. I've got another office that wants to connect as well via VPN. Is there a limit in the 1711 as far as number of tunnels or sessions supported concurrently?

Thanks all.

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

I am sure that there is some limit. What that limit is depends on several things (how much memory, perhaps what version of IOS, whether you have the optional VPN accelerator, perhaps on what features you are using) that we do not currently know about your environment. But if I understand your question correctly and you are asking about support for 2 VPN tunnels, I am confident that the limit is higher than 2.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

That's what I was hoping. I was just curious if it established a separate tunnel for each client that tries to come in (potentially many) or one for each site (potentially only 2).

I will check the IOS version and see if there's a ref somewhere here.

Thanks!

John

Perhaps some clarification is in order. There are 2 ways of doing VPN with a Cisco router. You can do router to router VPN which is frequently referred to as site to site or you can do client to router VPN which is frequently referred to as remote access VPN. I was assuming that we were talking about site to site VPN where the routers establish a VPN tunnel and transmit traffic for the end stations on the LAN behind the router.

For site to site VPN I am very confident about supporting 2 remote offices on your router. If you want remote access VPN then we would need to be more concerned about how many remote clients would be connecting.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card