cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The C6509 SUP2 module migration plan.

yong1794
Level 1
Level 1

I have plan to C6509 SUP720 migation from SUP2.

What do i consider and prepare to it?

The C6509(IOS) has 1 SUP2 module and 2 regacy ethrenet module.

and do i need a DFC3B card to get full performance of X6724SFP module?

8 Replies 8

john.imison
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have high speed fan tray? Do you have >=2500 Watt PSUs in the system? They will be the first things to look at if planning to upgrade to SUP720.

Are there line cards in slot 4 and or 5? I believe the 720 sits in slot 4/5 so that's another consideration.

Not sure about the DFC3B/X6724SFP.

Thanks your reply.

I don't have high speed fan tray. so high speed fan and power suppy should be upgrade this time as you said.

Is there anything more consideration? like an IOS version checking or configuration modifying.

Any advice and information could be useful to me.

Hi,

I think I may have been incorrect about which slot the 720 sits in.. http://www.cisco.com/networkers/nw04/presos/docs/RST-4501.pdf says 5 or 6.

I can't really help with IOS version check or configuration differences, but, they are probably fairly similar.

Hope it goes well for you.

On catalyst6509 the supervisor will be installed on modules 5 and 6, the fan tray your need is WS-C6K-9SLT-FAN2. As far as the IOS it depends on the feature you are looking for. For my case I do use the sup720 as my core and the IOS I use is s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF6.bin, just make sure the IOS you use starts with s72033-. You probably are going to need a flash because the image may not fit on your bootdisk. My image is almost 80M. Hope that helps.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"and do i need a DFC3B card to get full performance of X6724SFP module? "

The sup720 is rated at 30 Mpps (about 20 Gbps with 64 bytes packets) for the entire chassis for fabric connected cards. The cef720 DFC provides 48 Mpps for the line card. So for only a single X6724SFP with a couple of legacy Ethernet line cards, you'll probably be alright but if you start to add more gig (or 10 gig), you might then want to consider using the DFCs.

I've got another question.

Do i need to change C6509 chasis to C6509-E for using sup720?

Hi Yong,

No you do not need E chassis specifically for sup 720. In the case of E-series chassis no fan upgrade is required. E-Chassis Fan tray is sufficient. In the case of non E-series chassis you need to have high speed fan tray.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_qanda_item09186a0080159963.shtml

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thanks for your good information.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card