Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Object

CSCO10758684
Level 1
Level 1

Hai all,

What does the term meant by Route Object in BGP.Is this something which Service provider has to do or Customer ..If the customer is Full BGP route customer

Please help me regarding this

10 Replies 10

gaurav_thapar79
Level 1
Level 1

route-object is something related to NIC i.e ASN & IP address provider. For e.g APNIC & ARIN etc...

They create the route object and which binded by ASN of a subscriber.

Now, the transit ASN has careted BGP communities and use AS-SET attribute to control advertisement and Traffic Engineering purpose.

Upstream providers use AS-SET attribute and update their permit prefix list from NICs.

Hellow sir,

Thanks for your valuable update ....now is some what clear ......And nice to meet you via cisco community ..I am from AES Bangalore ...Thanks to cisco

Hi,

Thanx. In this case, customer needs to do the change with APNIC to update the route-object per prefix since they have the login/password.

thomas.anthony
Level 1
Level 1

For each network you plan to advertise to ISP.you need to register a route object in a routing registry. Here's an example of a route object:

route: x.x.x.0/19

descr: circular Informationssysteme GmbH

origin: AS15518

notify: guardian@circular.net

notify: netmaster@circular.net

mnt-by: CIRCULAR-NOC

changed: guardian@circular.net 20020918

source: RIPE

Note: the route object must match your BGP advertisement exactly. That is, if you plan to advertise several /24 networks individually, you need to register a route object for each of them. Registering a single route object for a bigger block containing the /24's will not function. If you need further information regarding RIPE database objects

Hai,

Thanks for the update .. Thomas you told need to register a route object in routing registry ...This customer has to do ? ....from service provider side do they have to do any changes ....except advertizing the prefixes ..

Pls reply

Depends on who "owns" the route. If the service provider is the owner of the route , it is their duty, however, in cases where customer is dual homed (could also apply in somecases for single homed) to 2 isps, it is the customers responsibility to register the object with their registry. It would also be better to remind your service providers to update their ASN macro so that your route object is not dropped by higher up ISPs (like level3 which uses routing registries to set routing policies)

hai luqmankondeth,

Thanks for your update ... now its clear ..

once again thanks

Regards

Lijesh.Nc

Bharti Airtel

Bangalore

If you dont mind, could you please rate the post. I havent asked people to rate my posts, with the result, that I dont have much points!!!!

thanks

hai,

Sorry to ask this qstion .. were do i find the option for late .... i couldint find this ... i want to rate you post becoz that has helped me a lot ..

were is the option for rating ???

right hand bottom corner...thanks..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card