Views
Helpful
Replies

load balance with static routes

roneng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a branch office with 2 cisco 800 series, each one connected to a different dial-up connection, and they are configured with hsrp and track the dialer interface. so far so good. my problem is the other end, the other side is an ATM router and the 800 routers are connected to it as virtual-access interfaces. the routes are all static, how can i configure the static routes on the ATM router so it will route packets to the active router on the branch office.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ronen

You raise an interesting question. I suggest that you might look at the possibility of configuring the ATM router with a primary static and a floating static for backup and that you look into the possibility of implementing Reliable Static Routing with Object Tracking. This feature checks on the accessibility of a remote address and will withdraw a static route if the remote address is not accessible. I think that this might allow the ATM router to route to the primary 800 so long as its dialer interface was operational and to withdraw that route and use the floating static if the primary dialer failed. This link will give you more information about the feature:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801d862d.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have control of all the routers and circuits involved, you can run a routing protocl for this. Else, you can run GRE tunnel, point-to-point or multipoint, and again run a routing protocol on top of it.

In both cases anyway the less preferred circuit will not be used at all with a wast of available bandwidth, so what you may want is to load balance all the time.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ronen

You raise an interesting question. I suggest that you might look at the possibility of configuring the ATM router with a primary static and a floating static for backup and that you look into the possibility of implementing Reliable Static Routing with Object Tracking. This feature checks on the accessibility of a remote address and will withdraw a static route if the remote address is not accessible. I think that this might allow the ATM router to route to the primary 800 so long as its dialer interface was operational and to withdraw that route and use the floating static if the primary dialer failed. This link will give you more information about the feature:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801d862d.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks

works very well

ronen

Thank you for posting to the thread and indicating that it works well. And thank you for using the rating system to show that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about an issue and can know that they will read a solution to that issue.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: