Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS in multi-server mode

gbusson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

plan to install LMS2.6 in a multi-servers context.

One server as Master DCR with RME installed, the other one as Slave with RME and Campus Manager.

As I understand :

in this configuration i can define

- up to 5.000 devices on first server

- up to 1.500 devices on second server

In case of failure of the first server

- I could have access to the configuration of the 6.500 devices

- I won't be able to add new devices on second server until I promote it as Master DCR

Is that right ?

Best regards

Gilles

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your management count is correct. The replicated DCR can hold up to 50,000 devices given proper storage.

You could have access to all the configs provided both RMEs are managing all devices and archiving configurations from all devices.

You are correct that new devices cannot be added unless you change the mode of the slave DCR to master or standalone.

Ok thanks,

I need a precision. Why a limit of 5.00 devices for a server with RME only and 1.500 for a server with RME and Campus ? Is it server hardware limitation ?

On server 1 only RME is installed so i can add manually device. (which will be replicaded on server 2)

On server 2, both RME and Campus are installed. I want to use Campus only for having a map design of my lan network. I don't want devices discoverd by Campus to be imported in RME.

Is this possible ?

Testing with multiple applications on one server was only done up to 1500 devices. Therefore, that is the maximum we can support. This number was pushed to 3000 in LMS 3.0, and is expected to reach 5000 for LMS 3.0.1.

Yes, you do not need to run Discovery to use the topology mapping feature of Campus.

Ok,

On server 2, I want to add device manually like in server 1. How can i do ? It seems that adding device manually is only possible on server 1 (which is the master)

As i understand, all my devices configurations will be located on server 1 and server 2. Is it true ?

You can only add new devices to the master server. The slave will then sync with the master, and pull the new devices. Each instance of RME can manage the devices separately, so the configs can reside on both servers.

Ok,

you said :

Yes, you do not need to run Discovery to use the topology mapping feature of Campus.

How can i do it ?

And the last question (may be ...)

If i had all my devices manually from server 1, there is no limit (5.000 because of RME installed on server 1 ??), only the limt of 50.000 devices for the DCR

Only Data Collection is needed to build the Topology Map. So, remove all scheduled discoveries, and don't click the "Start Discovery" link.

You can add all your devices to the master DCR, but you can only manage 5000 of them in the standalone RME, and only 1500 in the RME on the slave server. So you will need to disable auto-manage in RME, and manually choose which RME will manage which devices.

Ok, thanks,

I will try to apply all you said and give you a feed back soon

Best regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: