Re-adding an user in Unity

Answered Question
Oct 9th, 2007

I have an user that was deleted from Unity, when I try to add him back I get the "the alias specified matches an alias already existing in the directory" error message. The user still has his AD account and Exchange mailbox. I don't want to have to delete these accounts unless absolute necessary.

James Foote

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by ranpierce about 9 years 2 weeks ago

I have good news for you.

You do not have to delete user out of AD and Exchange, just remove the Unity properties.

Use this tool

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
j-foote Tue, 10/09/2007 - 14:22

Thanks for the response, I have Unity 4.2(1.0) and doesn't seem to want to download from the web site. It shows that I should be using Global Subscriber Manager.

NOTE: Global Subscriber Manager now has removal functions built in. For 4.0(1) and later the Remove Subscriber Properties is not in Tools Depot any longer.

However I don't see the user in question using this method.

Any more ideas?

j-foote Tue, 10/09/2007 - 19:00

Thanks for the help, was able to remove the user from Unity

3dperrier Tue, 12/18/2007 - 07:56

We tried this solution a few days ago on Unity 5.0(1) but after we ran the RemoveSubscriberProperties on the AD account and try to re-add the Unity account, we get "An unrecognized error 0x80070005 has occurred E_ACCESSDENIED". We have tried it with the install account and the admin account. Anyone run into this before? These accounts were migrated from another Unity in the past using GSM.

This Discussion