cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP CLI Command Q?

islj
Level 1
Level 1

once you console into the ap what is the command 2 register the ap with a conroller? i have 2 controllers and when i install a new ap it automatic register with the 1st controller, i came across a command that allows me to enter a command with the ip address of the 2nd controller, whats the command?

thanks

1 Reply 1

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

Pre-stage Configuration for LWAPP Access Points

This feature simplifies the deployment of LWAPP access points in remote locations by adding a new set of CLI's to the Recovery IOS image. The static IP address, Netmask, Default gateway, and Primary Controller IP address may now be configured on the access point. Configuring the Primary Controller IP address will help the access point discover and register a specific Controller over the WAN links. In a deployment scenario where a DHCP server is not available in remote locations the CLIs may be used to configure the static IP address and the initial LWAPP controller information.

The new pre-stage CLI commands are listed and described in Upgrading Autonomous Cisco Aironet Access Points to Lightweight Mode. Click this link to browse to that document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html

Configuring Static Parameters to Register the Access Point to a Controller

Using the password that the controller sent to the access point, enter into EXEC mode on the access point console. When the access point is running LWAPP or a recovery IOS image, you can configure the static IP address on the access point, the IP address on the controller, the access point hostname, and the default gateway IP address by entering these commands:

lwapp ap ip address ip-addr subnet-mask

**lwapp ap controller ip address ip-addr

lwapp ap hostname ap-hostname

lwapp ap ip default-gateway ip-addr

The access point with a recovery IOS image uses the static controller IP address to register to the specified controller and download the current LWAPP image. After the access point successfully registers to the controller, it receives configurations from the controller. The access point static hostname and the IP address of the controller are deleted from the access point configuration file. However, the access point static IP address and the netmask and the default gateway IP address are not deleted.

When the access point is running a recovery IOS image, the commands to configure the static IP address on the access point, the IP address on the controller, the access point hostname, and the default gateway IP address are always enabled.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card