Lightweight AP's associated & working, but not in authorized AP list

Answered Question
Oct 9th, 2007

We are starting to convert over to Lightweight and we have successfully converted 10 AP's over to Lightweight mode.

We are using WCS to manage multiple controllers in multiple 6509's.

The lightweight AP's appear to be working fine, however after rebooting the AP's some of them failed to reassociate with the controller. After messing around, I got them going again, but my question is this:

Why do only 4 of my AP's show up with valid certificates in the AP authorization list of the WCS (and hence the controllers). The other 6 AP's do not show up anywhere in the authorization list, however they are working fine and they do show up in all other WCS / Controller screens as being associated to the controllers. I have a variety of different AP models, some with SSC and some with MIC certificates, and it doesn't seem to matter (some of AP's not listed in the authorization list have SSC's and others have MIC's.

Can anyone explain why these don't need to be in the authorization list to work? I'm just afraid that they are going to detach and not reattach.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by gmarogi about 9 years 1 week ago
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
gmarogi Mon, 10/15/2007 - 13:55
neilhall Tue, 10/16/2007 - 07:08

It looks like you are correct. I do have a mixture of "Pre & Post July 18, 2005" Access Points. It does appear that all of the ones on my Authorization list have SSC certificates (which were apparently added to the auth list by the IOS to Lightweight conversion tool), and all of the AP's that are missing from the list have MIC's (apparently the upgrade tool does not add MIC AP's because as you said, it is not needed)

Issue Resolved & a 5 for you.

Scott Fella Mon, 10/15/2007 - 19:43

When converting from IOS to LWAP and depending on certain models, you will need to add the MIC to the WCS and push that out to the WLC. No need for this if they are the 1131's or 1242's, at least I didn't need to add them. I have had issues with the 1220 ap's not joining the controller after the upgrade. The fix was to convert back to IOS and then reconvert them and add the MIC. So other than the 1131's and the 1242's, all other ap's that have been converted need to be added to each controller.

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network