What will a CCIE do for my Professional Level exams, and for how long?

Unanswered Question
Oct 9th, 2007

Four and a half years ago I passed my CCNP exams, and 17 months ago I recertified by passing both the router and switching exams. The goal in doing that was to provide these two tests for pursuing the CCDP cert. Last week I passed the 640-863 CCDA exam, and currently have begun to study for the ARCH exam.

It's my expectations that when I pass the ARCH exam, I will have achieved my CCDP certification. So if in the next year I study for and pass the CCIE R&S exam, will it recertify both my professional exams for a full 3 years? Someone told me that the CCIE written is only good for 18 months unless you take the lab. So if I have no current expectation of taking the lab, could I theoretically take the CCIE written every 3 years, and still maintain my Professional certs?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Danilo Dy Tue, 10/09/2007 - 20:20

Hi,

Yes, CCIE Written is only good for 18 months, you have to attempt the LAB during that period, else you have to take the CCIE Written again.

However, passing CCIE Written will extend your Professional/Associate certifications for another 3 years. I did just that when 642 is not yet counted to extend any Professional certification 3 years ago.

Regards,

Dandy

jalandis01 Wed, 10/10/2007 - 06:43

Dandy,

Thanks. I enjoy the learning and additional knowledge associated with the cert material, but also don't want to waste my time on something of no value either.

I follow this forum in RSS fashion, and am seeing quite a few posts which say that employers don't look on certs as strongly as they used to. Hopefully the R&X CCIE still holds more value than if a person doesn't have it.

Thanks,

Jim

Danilo Dy Wed, 10/10/2007 - 07:48

Hi,

Yes, for me certification is secondary. A person can be good, but common sense still a factor.

Regards,

Dandy

Actions

This Discussion