cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity - Upgrading from 4.x to 5 with failover

h.perrett
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking at upgrading a Unity 4.05 Failover pair to Unity 5 with minimal disruption.

If we failover to the secondary server and upgrade the primary server will this cause problems when we then try and failback to the primary to allow the upgrade of the secondary?

Ideally I would like to take one server offline at a time and upgrade. Is this possible?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ibschrader78
Level 1
Level 1

You can read about the upgrade here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/white/paper/50curollupgrade.html

I just did it in a test environment, the procedure is roughly like this:

1 failover to secondary

2 upgrade primary

3 force secondary inactive

4 force primary active

5 upgrade secondary

6 reinstall failover monitor on both servers

The failover thing doesn't work when one is still ver 4.5 and the other is 5.0 so that is the reason for the forcing in 3 & 4. It seemed to work reasonably well for me.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ibschrader78
Level 1
Level 1

You can read about the upgrade here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/white/paper/50curollupgrade.html

I just did it in a test environment, the procedure is roughly like this:

1 failover to secondary

2 upgrade primary

3 force secondary inactive

4 force primary active

5 upgrade secondary

6 reinstall failover monitor on both servers

The failover thing doesn't work when one is still ver 4.5 and the other is 5.0 so that is the reason for the forcing in 3 & 4. It seemed to work reasonably well for me.

Thanks for the prompt reply, the document is exactly what I need.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: