cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Models with Usable SVI Counters

slaptijack
Level 1
Level 1

On a Catalyst 3560, I can set up a Layer 3 SVI (interface VLAN 7) and route through it. This works exactly as expected.

Unfortunately, the interface counters (both in the CLI and SNMP) do not increment for non-process switched packets. Basically, this means I cannot monitor an interface's throughput.

Does anyone have a list of Catalyst models that support what I would call "usable" SVI counters?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

they all work the same . Most traffic is switched in hardware now and never even hits the cpu so it will not get counted in the SVI . You should be looking at the ports themselves like uplinks etc for counts as what is going on . Using the "show interface counters" commands will give you port statistics and "show interface counters errors" for port error counts .

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Glen.

Unfortunately, these are trunk ports and monitoring the ports doesn't provide the solution I need.

I'm trying to avoid using sub-interfaces on the router for this, but I'm probably going to have to go back to that solution.

Thanks anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card