cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Learned MAC address question

arevaloj
Level 1
Level 1

I thought that the default CAM aging is 300 seconds. But, I was reading about port security and came across that no aging occurs on learned addresses by default. Could someone help clarify this for me? Does the no aging only apply after the switchport port-security command has been configured? Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

That's right. The aging is different under port-security than under default conditions.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

View solution in original post

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Default CAM againg time is 300 seconds only and what you might have read is aging time for secure mac address which is disabled by default.

When you configure port security you can configure aging time for secure mac addresses.

Please come back if you have any doubts.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

That's right. The aging is different under port-security than under default conditions.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Default CAM againg time is 300 seconds only and what you might have read is aging time for secure mac address which is disabled by default.

When you configure port security you can configure aging time for secure mac addresses.

Please come back if you have any doubts.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thanks for both responses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card