cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Groups and RF Groups

pblume
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a general recommendation for the grouping of WLCs for mobility and RF (RRM)? It seems to me that they are totally separate features. So, if I had a site with 2 mobility groups, I could technically configure all of the WLCs with the same RF Group name? Should I do that?

Or should I just keep the RF Group name the same as the Mobility Group name?

Is there any tradeoff for configuring multiple RF groups vs. configuring one big RF Group for a site?

I haven't seen any documentation that discusses this. Everything seems to assume a single mobility group and a single RF Group per site.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

RF groups and mobility groups are similar in that they both define clusters of controllers, but they are different in terms of their use.

These two concepts are often confused because the mobility group name and RF group name are configured to be the same in the Startup Wizard. Most of the time, all of the controllers in an RF group are also in the same mobility group and vice versa. However, an RF group facilitates scalable, system-wide dynamic RF management while a mobility group facilitates scalable, system-wide mobility and controller redundancy.

So it is not necessary to have same mobility group name as RF Group name.

RF Groups are clusters of controllers who not only share the same RF Group Name, but whose APs hear each other. AP logical collocation, and thus controller RF Grouping, is determined by APs receiving other APs? Neighbor Messages.

So if your WLCs on different site have APs which cannot see each other there is no use to keep the 2 controllers in same RF group.

May be these links can help you with something

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.1/configuration/guide/c41rrm.html

A very good link for RRM

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008072c759.shtml

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card