cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problem with console connection to 3550

cbrowns3313
Level 1
Level 1

I am in a classroom environment. I cannot access two 3550 catalyst switches using the console port. I am able to access one using telnet, however the professor, who no longer works here and is unavailable has not provided the password. I have tried to boot the switch holding the mode button however because I get no console connection I cannot change the config file. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

You are not able to access the switch via console so can you try changing different console cable first? If yes then try changing different baud rate on your hyperterminal to see if you get an access?

If still no luck then this lead to bad console port.

HTH

Ankur

Thanks for the reply. I have tried different cables and baud rates. No luck. It is as if the console port has been dis-activated.

Sounds like your com port on your pc isn't working .

Is there any ways to connect to switch without console cable ?

Hi,

Some Laptop's serial ports behave funny. Can I suggest you to use a PC's serial port first. Try using Hyper Terminal or Tera Terminal. Both seems to work reasonably well !

HTH

Shaheen

Thanks for the replies. I have tested the com port and cable on a router and another switch. So I know that the com port and cable and hyperterminal are functioning properly.

same problem ankbhasi sir i tried everything as you sayd still i cant login console with post mode

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card