cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP 521 FLASH error

fcrumpler
Level 1
Level 1

I just got six 521 AP's. If I plug the laptop to the Console port, I see errors reading the flash image. I have tried this on two of the six. The CCA software does not see these units either. Any ideas? Where can one get technical level info. on these units? What is the default IP address?

10 Replies 10

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

Make sure the console is set for 9600 bps , 9, n, none and try the console again or click on restore defaults on the console software to arrive at this.

Please disregard my comment about FLASH errors. My problem is with CCA. It is the Cisco Configuration Assistant that will not discover the AP. The console connection shows the AP getting an IP address from the networks DHCP server OK. I can ping the device by name or IP address. I do not know how to get to the command line for the AP. And I don't know if I MUST have a VLAN or not. MUST I have a Cisco Catalyst Switch? That does not seem likely. The documentation for this device is pathetic.

Thank you for your response.

Are your APs the lightweight or autonomous flavor of the AP521?

I have not seen the terms "autonomous" or "lightweight" in the literature! All I know is that I ordered "standalone" models.

they are marked "AIR-LAP521G-A-K9" does that help?

Yep, you have a 'lightweight' access point. So do you have the wireless controller (526) to go along with it? You cannot have more than three 'standalone' 521s in the same CCA community. For 3-6 you need 'lightweight' APs and a controller

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7319/products_data_sheet0900aecd8060c220.html

AIR-AP521G-x-K9

Cisco 521 Wireless Express Access Point (standalone mode)

AIR-LAP521G-x-K9

Cisco 521 Wireless Express Access Point (controller mode)

AIR-WLC526-K9

Cisco 526 Wireless Express Mobility Controller

At this point, I don't know if I ordered the wrong model number or the vendor shipped them in error. I need these on line quickly! How can I change the firmware to make a "lightweight" into a standalone model?

I know that only three standalones can be in a single community, but I can always have two communities. Right?

The quickest way to get these online is to express order a controller. It is the 526. I have one here at my house I use for my personal network. I am not sure that Cisco offers a lwapp to autonomous conversion tool for the 521s. The 526 offers automatic and dynamic power and channel assigment as well as centralized management and dynamic load balancing between all of your access points. It can support 6 APS.

Can the 526 controller handle six LAP521G-A-K9 access points if the access points are on different subnets? If this is the case, that would solve my problem.

Thank you very much for your help.

As long as you have a good LWAPP discovery method in place yes. That would require the use of DHCP Option 43, Priming the AP, DNS Name Resolution, or static configuration. Please see the attached. 6 APs are supported but you can not stack the controllers in mobility groups.

Very helpfull information! Thank you. It did not occur to me that I should look in the Aironet 1200 Series documentation to figure out problems with the 521/526 equipment! Is there any detailed information specific to the 500 series? The document you provided lists Vendor Class Identifiers (VCI)strings for the 1000 series but not the 521.

I really appreciate your help. You DA MAN!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card