1130 vs 1240

Unanswered Question
Oct 11th, 2007

General consensus please.

I would like to know the limitations and/or differences between the 1130 and 1240 ap?s.

We are replacing our wireless infrastructure and plan on using 1130 series ap?s. before we pull the trigger, we just want to know any and all differences between these models to make sure that our decision will be the best for our company.

I have been told that the 1130 ap has limitations such as number of ssid?s etc as opposed to the 1240?s.

Any information in regards to limitations and differences is greatly appreciated and very much needed.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
clarkmat Fri, 10/12/2007 - 02:57

Main differences between the two are that 1131 is cheaper but with internal antennas whereas the 1242 requires external antennas so more flexible in demanding environments. Performance wise external antennas are slightly better. 1131 has a more office feel and more cosmetic.

Both have the same meomory and flash and both support H-REAP if your using them as Lightweight access points.

Our company chose both to offer customers a choice (price/flexibility)

Hope it helps

rob.huffman Fri, 10/12/2007 - 07:00

Hi Joe,

Matt has really highlighted the differences nicely (5 points for your good work Matt!)

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice here and I think the 1130 would be an excellent coice for a Hospital environment. As Matt noted the 1130 is probably a little easier on the eye and would fit in well in your situation. We use many 1130's and have found them to be an excellent product. If you have any areas where the AP is likely to be exposed to high temperatures then the more "heavy duty" 1240 is the way to go.

From an excellent Cisco Q&A DOC;

Q. How does the Cisco Aironet 1240AG Series compare to the Cisco Aironet 1130AG Series?

A. Both series offer dual-band access points designed for the enterprise, both support interoperable 802.11i/WPA2-enhanced wireless LAN security.

The Cisco Aironet 1240AG Series is designed for greater flexibility. Dual antenna connectors for both the 2.4- and 5-GHz bands support a range of antenna gains and coverage patterns. The Cisco Aironet 1240AG Series is designed for more challenging RF environments, with a die-cast metal enclosure and operability in a wider temperature range than the Cisco Aironet 1130AG Series.

The Cisco Aironet 1130AG Series is designed for indoor office environments, providing rugged diversity antennas with omnidirectional coverage for both the 2.4- and 5-GHz bands. The antennas are integrated into the design, resulting in an unobtrusive form.

Hope this helps!

Robert Braver Wed, 10/31/2007 - 17:12

As others have posted, the main difference is aesthetics and internal antennas vs. connectors for a choice of external antennas.

Actually, both the internal diversity antenna sets on the 1130 (for B/G and A radios) have a slightly higher gain than the respective "rubber duck" antennas typically used on a 1242.

For just about any indoor, typical AP application, I insist on the 1130s. We use 1242s for harsher environments, bridging, or other applications where we need a high gain and/or directional antenna.

As far as I know, all the other capabilities are the same.

dennischolmes Fri, 11/02/2007 - 11:51

There is one other major difference guys, the 1131s tend to get very hot so closing them into tight confines is not a wise decision. The 1242 is much more ruggedized and doesn't suffer from overheating issues as bad. One other major issue to consider in a hospital environment is inter floor bleed through of signal. WCS was designed to be a 2 dimensional mapping service in nature for location services. It has a hard time handling multi-floor APs. Because of this you are really limited in what you can do with the 1130 series in a multifloor environment due to lack of antennae options. If you choose either and use omnis make sure to stagger them in overlap fashion between the floors. I suggest 1242's with directional on the outter perimeter of the floors and omnis in the areas that show coverage holes.

This Discussion