cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM to Ehthernet Converter

oludunmccis
Level 1
Level 1

please how do u adapt my Cisco 857's ATMoPOTS interface to connect to my Fastethernet interface on my modem to get internet access from my ISP?What PINOUT configuration do i use on the cable or is there a converter i can use?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You cannot do that. What you can do, is to connected the 857 directly to ADSL, if is that is what you have.

Else, the 857 is the wrong model, you should get an 851 or 871.

Hope this helps, pleas rate post if it does!

Thanks for the assistance. I want to use this router and i think if i get the pinout for the cables, i can use it to pass my ethernet trafic. I feel it can work even without having to change the router.please can you shed more light on why it cannot work?

Sorry, you cannot connect ethernet to adsl, because these are different standards.

The "converter" would be a dslam (an expensive ISP device).

How expensive is the converter please?you have an idea and how available is it? i cant just trash that router?

A dslam is not for use in home and can cost in excess of $3000.

You should connect you 857 directly to adsl with the appropriate configuration, or as I said before, use an 851 or 871 if you need to maintain the adsl modem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card