Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack Switch Cat3750

chris.lau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have stack switches, both are Cat3750. After I stacked it, I have the following error:

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority State

--------------------------------------------------------

1 Slave 0000.0000.0000 0 Provisioned

*2 Master 0014.a871.4100 14 Ready

Can I know why?

3 Replies 3

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

It looks as though even though the other switch in your stack is provisioned within the config, the stack cannot see it correctly (Hence no MAC address). This way be due to the stackwise cable not being correctly connected or an SDM or version mismatch between the switches. Can you take a look at the log on the switch to see if it tried to be added to the stack, but couldn't due to an issue, or if the stack doesn't show any indication that an additional switch tried to be added?

Martin

After issued the command, " boot auto-copy-sw". The "provision" message appeared!!

Before, I issued the command, the status was "version mismatch"

Stacking switches gives a couple of advantages such as faster backbone between the switches, redundancy for broken powersupplys, easier management, trunking servers to different hardware and so on.

However that said there is a thing you should ask yourself before stacking.

Stacking binds the two or more switches together as a logical unit.

That means that if you for some reason need to restart the switch it will be offline for more or less 3.5 minutes.

Reasons for restarts includes but are not limited to:

IOS Upgrades (planned)

Software error resulting in a crash

Reloads issued by operator.

Problems affecting the ip stack of the switch stack (wrong ios, configuration errors cpu or memory problems)

Or just the in general, **bleep** happens.

If you can not ever have the switches lost for 3.5 minutes for some reason then maybe a different aproach is advisable.

Fx it might be better to look at a meshed solution (traditional switch design).

But if you have those demands then it might be a better solution to have several stacks with 3750E and a redundant design

Expensive?! Absolutely, but it keeps the network up and about.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card